

**BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM JUNE 9, 2020 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL**

The virtual meeting was called to order by President Stephen Shurgot at 6:30 pm.

The Pledge of Allegiance was led by the President.

**ROLL CALL: JOSEPH HARTZELL, present; KELLY BELIN, present; LINDA KIRK, present; KELLY MAXWELL, present; PAULA SHURGOT, present; JOHN THOMAS, present; STEPHEN SHURGOT, present. MAYOR GREGORY JAKUB was also present.**

**J. HARTZELL /L. KIRK TO ACCEPT THE MINUTES OF THE MAY 5, 2020 MEETING AS PRESENTED. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

**RATIFICATION OF VOTES**

We voted to pay June's bills in the amount of \$18800.52.

**J. HARTZELL:** why is there an overage on the color copier bill, we only print black & white.

**C. LANG:** I will look into it because I do not have the bill in front of me.

**K. MAXWELL:** are we able to upgrade to a different plan?

**C. LANG:** I can get in touch with RTR and let you know.

**J. HARTZELL:** can we just go down to 1 copier?

**S. SHURGOT:** how will AI get access when the office is closed?

**J. HARTZELL:** did the Glenn Engineering bill from Herman Avenue change?

**C. LANG:** yes the bills were separated and the General bill was around \$2500.00. I had sent you a revised copy of the bill.

**P. SHURGOT/K. MAXWELL TO PAY THE BILLS AS PRESENTED IN THE AMOUNT OF \$18,800.52. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

We also need to ratify the paving on Herman Avenue. Steve had sent out an email with the approximate amount. It was \$17,000.00 for Westinghouse to King's Way and an additional \$25,000.00 from there to Station Street.

**S. SHURGOT:** that is incorrect; we have to have separate pricing from Westinghouse to King's Way then from there to Commerce and from Commerce to Station. We will have to wait for them to resubmit the bills and show the separation.

**CORRESPONDENCE**

1. We have an application for a handicap sign for 668 Middle Avenue. This will be for a general sign not a personal one.

**BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM JUNE 9, 2020 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL**

**J. HARTZELL/P. SHURGOT TO APPROVE THE PLACEMENT OF THE SIGN AT 668 MIDDLE AVENUE. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

**COMMITTEE REPORTS**

**PUBLIC SAFETY – L. KIRK:** for the month of May Eastern Area Ambulance responded to 58 calls and had 45 transports. Their average response time for emergencies was 7.4 minutes and for non-emergences it was 8.9 minutes.

There was no report from the Fire Department.

**INSPECTOR KEARNS:** I emailed to the report over but do not have it in front of me. We did have 1 reported burglary. It was a vacant structure and the owner is not sure if anything was taken. Our traffic stops back up now and we are having interaction with the public. The court system reopened on June 1, it was closed from March 16<sup>th</sup> and made it very difficult to arrest anyone.

**J. HARTZELL:** there is a car parking on the sidewalk of Card Avenue.

**INSPECTOR KEARNS:** I will have an officer look into it.

**CODE ENFORCEMENT – AL HUSSEY –** Everyone received a copy of the report.

**PUBLIC WORKS – P. SHURGOT:** We had 1 application for a summer helper. Linda, John and I interviewed him today and will be hired for \$8.00/hr. His name is Joey Folino and he will be a senior at Serra Catholic.

**P. SHURGOT/ROLL CALL VOTE TO HIRE JOEY FOLINO AS A SUMMER LABORER AT \$8.00 PER HOUR.**

**L. KIRK:** yes

**K. MAXWELL:** yes

**K. BELIN:** yes

**S. SHURGOT:** yes

**J. HARTZELL:** yes

**J. THOMAS:** technical difficulties with computer, couldn't answer

**P. SHURGOT:** yes

**MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 6-0**

**P. SHURGOT:** We also interviewed a laborer but have not worked out all the details of his employment. Mr. Hussey has been talking to Mike Kelly who said if we bought him a weed whacker he would cut all of the vacant lots. We said we would not do that but we can hire him as summer help. We have not spoken to him yet.

**S. SHURGOT:** he wanted to go around and cut the lots as a good citizen and Greg Evashavik said that would be a liability.

**A. HUSSEY:** I spoke with him; I got the application and got donations for the weed whacker which Lt. McClelland purchased online. I have to meet with him tomorrow to fill out the paperwork. He has been going around and doing this for a while without anyone's knowledge.

**S. SHURGOT:** we can hire him now or we can wait and talk about it at workshop.

**BOROUGH OF WILMERDING**  
**MINUTES FROM JUNE 9, 2020 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL**

**P. SHURGOT:** you feel that if he is going to continue to do that he will need to be hired.

**G. EVASHAVIK:** he needs to be covered under our workers compensation insurance, he can refuse pay as long as the insurance carries says they will still cover him.

**P. SHURGOT:** I feel that we should hold off right now and discuss it with the insurance carrier.

**A. HUSSEY:** I spoke with John Nalevanko regarding 502 Airbrake. The borough used to cut the property steps and they would salt and maintain the stairs. He said if the borough cuts their side he said he will cut his side.

**C. LANG:** the borough has not salted or shoveled those steps for a long time; the borough does cut back the bushes and has just recently done that.

**J. THOMAS:** that is a public right-a-way and the issue is the growth from the adjoining properties.

**A. HUSSEY:** he said no, this all started because Steve asked me to talk to property owners and get them to start maintaining the hillside from Middle to Airbrake. He said if the Borough is not maintaining the steps why should he do his property.

**K. MAXWELL:** I know they are going to start painting curbs and Herman will need done. There are 2 handicap spots for the school but there has never been one down at the Beauty Shop. Do we need to put one there?

**G. EVASHAVIK:** no we do not need to put a handicap spot there. It is at the discretion of Council.

**P. SHURGOT:** we would like to rent the paint machine again so I will get you a price for workshop.

**S. SHURGOT:** I was going to do an in person workshop but the problem with the Council meeting is we don't have enough space. We may have to the WCC gym for the July meeting. The workshop will be at 7 pm on March 23<sup>rd</sup>.

**ENGINEER – A. PRINCE:** 413 Welsh/Orient slides, PA Soil and Rock did the test hole drilling at the end of Wood & Welsh and we are just waiting for their recommendation. Ice Plant Hill drainage project, ALCOSAN approved the filling of the application for a GROW grant. Final approval of this project should come in fall. Herman Avenue Sewer Separation should be complete. 2019 Storm Inlet project with Satira should start in early July. We submitted the GTRP grant for work in the Wilmerding Park. 2 Caldwell sewer repairs should also be completed. This was an issue that was caused by our salt storage shed. We had the manhole exposure and rising in the Community Center lower lot. We received 2 quotes, 1 from State Pipe for \$16500.00 and one from Naccarati for #18300.00. We recommend that you award the project to State Pipe.

**L. KIRK:** do you know what happened from the Middle Avenue concern.

**S. SHURGOT:** I met Dave down there and he agreed it sounded hollow. We do not have any sewers under the road and the Water Company does not have any lines.

**J. THOMAS:** there is a downspout coming off of the building there.

**P. SHURGOT:** do you have a completion date and penalty included.

**BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM JUNE 9, 2020 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL**

**A. PRINCE:** yes we usually have that written in our specs.

**J. THOMAS/K. BELIN TO AWARD THE MANHOLE EXPOSURE AND RAISING TO STATE PIPE WITH A COST OF \$16500.00 TO BE PAID FROM THE SEWER FUND. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

**J. THOMAS:** do you have any idea when we will find out about the park project?

**A. PRINCE:** we should know before the end of the year.

**COG REPORT – J. HARTZELL:** no meeting yet.

**BOROUGH PROPERTY – K. MAXWELL:** I received the quote today from JJ's Tree Service. To remove the tree from the salt bin is \$700.00 and he could have it done late June.

**J. THOMAS/L. KIRK TO HAVE THE TREE REMOVED FROM THE SALT BIN IN THE AMOUNT OF \$700.00. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

**K. MAXWELL:** he will also come out and look at the tree on Westinghouse. I received a phone call regarding parking on Herman. The people from the apartment complex and the school are parking in front of the residents homes so Steve and I discussed making it resident parking. I ordered the tags but we need to see if that's how we want to go.

**L. KIRK:** What are you considering a resident though because they are residents as well?

**K. MAXWELL:** yes that's true.

**S. SHURGOT:** we talked a few months back about the school kids; we were going to designate so many spots for the residents.

**K. MAXWELL:** now with the school not being open it hasn't been bad but for about a half hour during the school year it is pretty congested.

**P. SHURGOT:** I don't think we can really do much because it is a public street but when school is going back I think we should have Caroline send a letter to the school about parking.

**L. KIRK:** I think that's easier and we designate 8-10 spots for the school and they get the permit.

**UTILITIES – J. HARTZELL:** nothing to report

**SOLICITOR – G. EVASHAVIK:** We have the ordinance for the reduction of speed on Herman Avenue. This was advertised for tonight's meeting and traffic study completed by the Borough engineer. The final determination is that the speed limit on Herman between Westinghouse Avenue and Commerce Street should be 15 mph. This will need posted before it can be enforced.

**P. SHURGOT/L. KIRK TO ADOPT ORDINANCE 1046 THE REDUCTION OF SPEED TO 15MPH ON HERMAN AVENUE BETWEEN WESTINGHOUSE AVENUE AND COMMERCE STREET. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL 7-0.**

**G. EVASHAVIK:** I did record the termination of ground lease for the YMCA so that is no longer valid.

**BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM JUNE 9, 2020 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL**

**FINANCE – J. THOMAS:**

**J. THOMAS:** We have received 75% of our real estate taxes at the discounted rate which runs till the end of July. We did get a decent payment from Keystone for EIT but I think that will be the last one we get like that. We will also see a decrease in the RAD monies in July and August as well. We do have to watch how we use that sewer money but some things have to be done.

**J. HARTZELL:** I think we need to watch all of the spending and only purchase necessities.

**J. THOMAS:** the next 3 months will definitely tell the tale. Also, the Motor License, which we use for street lights and salt, we get that every March but nobody is driving or buying fuel so next year we will probably get less from that as well. Joe, Kelly, and I talked about that when we talked and when we set up the 2021 budget we have to keep that in mind and account for some of that money to come out of the general fund. We also need to get together with the County and see where we stand with the police.

**S. SHURGOT:** the county has to see where they stand with the police as well.

**RECREATION – K. BELIN:** Nothing to report since everything has been cancelled

**PLANING – K. BELIN:** nothing to report

**OLD BUSINESS**

**P. SHURGOT:** what is the status on the sign at the end of the bridge?

**C. LANG:** after long drawn out attempts with Verizon I finally got the contact information for our sales rep. I will touch base with him tomorrow and get everything set up. Part of the problem was the Covid-19 procedures and their reps were working from home without full contact to the information.

**K. MAXWELL:** safety issues around the Faller Building, the signage is not there or keeps getting knocked over.

**S. SHURGOT:** I'm looking at the list everyone received a copy of where Paula asked him to take care of that and it is checked off that it is done.

**C. LANG:** the barriers are up for the sidewalks on Herman and Commerce and the road closed sign is in the alley between the Faller building and the high rise.

**A. HUSSEY:** Kelly had asked me to get some of the vacant properties that are owned by Red Knot cut and there were 4 of them done today.

**J. HARTZELL:** what happened to the yard signs that we ordered for front line workers.

**S. SHURGOT:** I had Caroline call to cancel the order and miraculously they showed up today. Do you want to put them up or send them back?

**P. SHURGOT/L.KIRK TO PLACE THE YARD SIGNS THAT WERE PREVIOUSLY ORDERED. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

**BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM JUNE 9, 2020 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL**

**J. THOMAS:** Al do you have a status update on the Faller building and the fire escapes?

**A. HUSSEY:** yes they are working on doing interior direct exits and egress because the Duquesne Light poles that are on Commerce are too close to the powerlines. It does take some time to get these done.

**K. MAXWELL:** can they at least move them?

**A. HUSSEY:** for that to happen a contract has to be awarded and there has to be money put down.

**S. SHURGOT:** can they put the fencing up like we did at 318 Middle?

**A. HUSSEY:** we own that fencing so I was going to take it and put it at the Faller Building once they are finished with it on Middle.

**G. EVASHAVIK:** I have a concern because about that. There was a long period of time when we didn't have a responsible owner but now we do. I want the Borough to take as little action as possible because by taking action we possible create liability exposure. It is the new owner's responsibility to barricade around those fire escapes or falling brick so no one can get under there and get hurt.

**G. JAKUB:** do we have a timeline on when the Middle Avenue property will be started?

**A. HUSSEY:** It was scheduled to start before this Covid-19 but now they are saying August.

**NEW BUSINESS:**

**K. MAXWELL:** at Holy Angels, do you know what he is building in the back parking lot?

**A. HUSSEY:** he is building a shed; he did not need a building permit for that.

**K. MAXWELL:** is he going to repair that wall on Westinghouse?

**A. HUSSEY:** yes he is planning on that. I will see him tomorrow and follow up with that.

**G. JAKUB:** who is going to be responsible for trimming all the bushes and trees on Westinghouse Avenue?

**P. SHURGOT:** does anybody remember what was discussed when they planted them?

**S. SHURGOT:** Caroline please check the minutes and we will discuss it at workshop.

**K. MAXWELL/L. KIRK TO MAKE THE WORKSHOP A REGULAR BUSINESS MEETING. MEMBERS VOTED APPROVAL, 7-0.**

**S. SHURGOT:** we made the green phase, I want to thank Council for supporting what needed to be done, and the Borough Building is going to remain closed at this time but they can schedule to meet in person if needed. We may have the July meeting at the Community Center because we don't have the space in council chambers to follow social distancing. There are sign that must be posted in businesses so we are not liable and the WCC is opened.

**BOROUGH OF WILMERDING  
MINUTES FROM JUNE 9, 2020 REGULAR MEETING OF BOROUGH COUNCIL**

**MAYOR'S REMARKS – G. JAKUB:** I'm not sure if anyone knew but Pitcairn Police had extra officers because of the protests going on. If the County left the borough Pitcairn would come in and cover the area so I would like to put together a letter thanking them for all the help and have all of council sign off on it. I also want to thank everyone for all their help adjusting to what we just went through the last few months.

**K. MAXWELL MOTION TO ADJOURN at 8:01 p.m.**